Sunday, November 29, 2009

It's morning...

It's morning and we slept the night away....
Can you name that tune? Those words are at the start of the infamous song As We Lay by Shirley Murdock from back in the day. As I lay here, up before the roosters for the 2nd day in a row, that song came to mind. I started thinking about the words in that song and I'm thankful that only the first line of that song applies to my life, helping me forget about the fact that the sun hasn't even come up yet. That song takes on a whole new meaning when you're grown. I think about what's going on in that song now, and I'm like whoa, It's about to be a show down somewhere in America.

Old school songs really talked about something. With those songs you actually listened and cared about the "words" because you wanted to find out what happened at the end of the story. They may have lasted 7 minutes a pop, but it was good music. Remember
"Have you seen Her? Now tell me have you seen her? Why oh why did you have to leave and go away! Oh yeah, I've been used to having someone to lean on and I'm lost, baby I'm lost" (The Chi-Lites).
The pain was evident!

Boys to Men got it right with "End of the Road", an instant classic. I remember this guy going through a break-up with one of my girls and that song came on. Home boy was so broke down, he inspired me to take it upon myself, to get on the phone and call my girl to ask "Is there anything he can do....?" Now that's good music! Do people write songs like that anymore? Songs that inspire you to do something? If you think of any, let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Girl I am feeling you when it comes to music. It seems that there was a time when no matter what was going on in your life, there was a song that described the feeling. You could go old school with Al Green.
    "I had to meet you hear today. There are so many things to say. Please don't stop me till I'm through. I just think this is the thing to do."

    Today, it hard to find those deep feelings in the music. I'm not saying that its not out there, but we have to search harder for it.

    I think some of our Neo Soul artists are really stepping up the music game again. Maxwell, Anthony Hamilton, Jill Scott just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss, people never hurt so good. LOL And there was a lot of happiness going on too. You almost forget about the struggles they were going through because when you look at the clips of the people with the music flowing, everybody was loving the moment.

    ReplyDelete