Friday, January 29, 2010

My How Time Flies

As my baby turns 3, I'm starting to get a glimpse into what I've been repeatedly told, time flies when you're raising children. When I first came home with my beautiful baby boy, so many people told me to savour every moment because it all goes by so fast. I excitedly filed that information away, unable to appreciate its meaning with a brand new baby in my arms.

But now, as I prepare my 3 year old to spend the night for the first time with the same girlfriend whose son I initially kept at 3 years old 14 years ago, it all becomes clearer. As she mentally prepares for the fast approaching days this same child goes off to college, I must take pleasure in the routine happenings of my life. Things like still having to keep check on when my little one wakes up because he refuses to get out of his toddler bed on his own, no matter how many times I tell him it's okay. I'm just going to embrace the fact that I get to witness that huge grin as he reaches for me proclaiming how hungry and thirsty he is. Yes these are "our" moments. Still, I can't deny the irony in my sentimental moment of clarity. The realization that these are the days I will someday long for and the moments I will forever cherish.

2 comments:

  1. Well you know what they say time flies when you are having fun. Raising children, although challenging, is a lot of fun. I am about 6 months away from my oldest child turning 18 years old and I look back and think about all the fun I have had and often ask where did the time go. I do get teary eyed when I think about the day fast approaching that I will have to drive him to VSU campus and leave him there and it reminds me when I put him on the bus for the first day of kindergarten. But I do know that I have given him the proper tools to make smart decisions and take care of himself. I just say take advantage of every teaching moment you are presented with but most of all cherish every moment he reaches his arms up and requests an embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I heard about the difficulty with that 1st day of Kindergarten. I can't imagine how it's different from the 1st day of daycare but I've never been there and once again, that seems to be a common milestone people talk about. So, I'll trust you on it and make sure I have my camera ready!

    ReplyDelete